Monday, June 15, 2015

Sleepwalking Through Life

We're just about six months into 2015 and I feel like I've been on an emotional roller coaster that has lasted for years. This year has brought on so many changes for me, while still really remaining the same (it always strikes me as funny that life tends to happen that way). If there was a song that closely resembled myself during these past few months, it may just be Katy Perry's "Hot n Cold" song. My mind really changes from one day to the next and let me tell you, it's exhausting.

Despite all these mental roadblocks and emotional roller coaster rides I've been facing lately, I still find myself somewhat "sleepwalking" through life. I don't think I am experiencing it the way I should and I usually only feel half there. This is something pretty personal to be sharing, but I want to share it because I want others to know that if you're feeling the same way, or ever have, you're obviously not alone.

It's so easy to get caught up in the hum drum of life and suddenly find yourself just going through the motions. It's easy to stop pursuing change in your life, especially positive change, when you're just so emotionally and mentally drained. It's easy to let yourself stop taking risks or chances because it's safer that way. "Sleepwalking" your way through life is a defense mechanism we may not always recognize. Sometimes you find yourself doing so because you're exhausted, in all sense of the word. When we've been through a lot, sometimes our only option is to "shut off our brain," so to speak.


The ironic part is that my brain isn't necessarily in shut off mode, because I still find myself overthinking and worrying about the most mundane things, or as usual, situations I have no control over. My positive thinking attitude has suffered greatly because I simply find I don't have the energy to put into that anymore. And that's terrible!

I was hoping that by writing this blog post I'd find myself with some kind of advice or solution by the end of it, if not for myself than at least for others who may find themselves in similar types of situations, but I'm still clueless. The only thing I really know is that we can't allow ourselves to reach this point where we are going through the motions of every day, finding that we no longer strive for more or are in pursuit of our dreams and hopes for the future.

This whole "sleepwalking through life" mentally is one of the reasons I've been on such a long blogging hiatus. I miss it all the time and I wish I could push myself to start up this hobby I so much enjoy, especially if it correlates so much with my future goals and dreams. But if you've ever been in this type of rough patch, then you know just how difficult it is to get yourself awake!

I'm always trying to offer advice to my readers, but this time I'm asking my readers for advice. 
What do you do when you find yourself feeling this way? 
What has worked for you in the past?

No comments

Post a Comment