Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Why you should shop at Plato's Closet instead of the mall

I am and forever will be a bargain shopper. I don't believe in spending $40 on just one shirt (unless it's like, super cute and I absolutely must have it.) When I was younger, I gave in to all that pressure that I must have the latest brand or else I'd be a total loser. I followed the crowd, the latest trends, and didn't really care what it cost because I was your typical selfish and clueless teenager who didn't know the true value of money. Now, I am the complete opposite. 75% of my closet comes from thrift stores, consignment shops or the sale racks. And I love it. For one, you tend to have a more unique wardrobe this way. Secondly, you're saving a BUTT LOAD of money. Believe me. It's a beautiful thing. You just have to know where to go, how to look and most importantly, not be skeeved out by the fact that someone else you don't know has worn the clothes before (come on now, people.) We live in a tough economy. Most of us are broke as hell (or at least trying to start saving up your hard earned cash) but you still want to look cute and stylish. That's where Plato's Closet comes in.

If you haven't already heard about it, Plato's Closet is a type of consignment store that can be found in various locations throughout the country (and appears to be a growing chain.) They carry a variety of items from handbags, jewelry, woman's clothing and shoes as well as some men's clothing. Everything is "gently used" and it is not like your typical thrift store. Items you find here are the latest trend and practically new. They tend to carry a lot of name brand items and at seriously awesome prices compared to what you would pay at full retail price. You can also SELL your stuff! Don't expect to make a bajillion dollars out of it, though. I've tried selling some of my clothes a few times and have only gotten money for things once. I brought in three bags worth of clothing and they only bought one bag's worth- but I still made a $40 profit. You also get a 10% off coupon if you sell anything and then decide to buy items from them that same day. They also have one of those "punch cards" in which you get a stamp every $10 you spend, and once you get 20 stamps you get a 15% off coupon for your next purchase. As a bargain shopper, I couldn't be happier.

Although I consider myself a "bargain shopper," I tend to go overboard when I realize I'm getting so many things at reduced prices. While yes, it's great that I'm saving money and getting so much for what I'm paying - I still need to take it down a notch when I visit Plato's Closet. During my most recent visit I ended up spending around $75 for 9 items. I would have bought more but they don't have shopping carts so my arms could only carry so much...

I want to share with you guys what I bought so you see the type of items this chain carries. They really have something for everyone and I've seen all age groups shopping there (from teenagers to moms.) Below are pictures of each item I purchased, along with the name brand and the price I paid. Check out the deals!


PC2
1. Black Poppy Sweater - $12                       2. Forever 21 Long Sleeve - $8

PC4    
 3. Delia's Cardigan - $10                                   4. Silence + Noise Tank - $10

PC3   
5. American Eagle Dress - $12                                 6. Two Scarves - $5 & $4

PC1
7. Forever 21 Short Sleeve - $8                                   8. Forever 21 Tank - $7

I hope I have now turned at least a few of you into potential thrift shoppers as well. One example of why I love places like Plato's Closet so much - that black American Eagle dress was on their site last year on sale (for $40, I think it was originally $60 or more) and I wanted to purchase it so badly, but they didn't have my size. Then, the magical shopping Gods from above happened to send me my size in the exact color I wanted - and I spent less than a fifth of the original price. Life is funny like that.

3 comments

  1. I love shopping at Plato's Closet! Selling on the other hand....not so much. I have found some incredible deals there - especially on jeans. They have designer jeans for so cheap that are in such good shape. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be a bargain shopper - then I met my husband and he wasn't...so I felt like I didn't have to be anymore. Then we bought a house and had a kid so it's like I had to go back to it. ha. I've been in plato's closet before (unfortunately I had my daughter with me so it was a little tough so search around) but I love it! by the way, I just found your blog from "Whispering Sweet Nothings" sidebar - I just joined up over there and thought I'd at least go meet other people on her sidebar and make new friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Plato's Closet! I've only been there once, but I bought like 3 pairs of shoes and several tops and I still have them! xx, Elizabeth

    www.octoberjune.com

    ReplyDelete