Saturday, April 19, 2014

Has our generation gone too far with the drinking lifestyle?

I’ve been experiencing some serious writer’s block. It’s not that I don’t have any ideas, because I have enough ideas to fill up my entire spring and summer post schedule. The problem is I’m having trouble just sitting down and actually writing it all. My ideas bounce around in my head like jumping jelly beans and then it’s hard to put everything into words. I also get stressed out knowing that I should be writing but I’m not. I almost feel like I’m back in school, dreading that paper I have to write but continuously procrastinating until the very last second. Except now, there’s technically no due date. I’m all about being organized and setting goals for myself, with tight run schedules and all. Then, it all just flops. I’m trying to work on this, but sometimes you find yourself in a funk that is just tremendously difficult to get out of.

One thing I do want to share with you all is my experience at the Taking Back Sunday concert I went to on Wednesday night. There were three other bands playing before them, so it was a really long wait (after an already exhausting day at work.) Taking Back Sunday has been my favorite band since I was about 12/13 years old and it is literally written on my bucket list “go to a Taking Back Sunday concert.” Ten years a fan and I had never been to one.


Now, I do not consider myself a “concert-goer” in the least bit. I’m not a fan of large crowds, so I stay away from things like that. I also don’t like spending a bunch of money on nosebleed seats. Just don’t see the point. But, this time was different. I was super pumped.

To say it in the politest way possible, it sucked. Not because of the music or the bands. It was the people, the crowd. I was expecting a crowd of older people or people somewhat my age, those who grew up listening to these bands and just felt like being nostalgic, etc. Instead, the crowd was a mix of overly obnoxious and rude drunk teenagers. Or maybe they were older than that, but I really couldn’t tell by the way they were acting. Everywhere I turned I saw girl drama and fights. People were doing drugs left and right. Everyone was wasted. I did not get to enjoy myself and it was truly disappointing. 

I don’t blame people for wanting to have fun and letting loose for a night, but after my night it really made me think: 
Must we rely on alcohol or drugs to have a good time, all the time?

I think drinking every once in a while is perfectly fine, especially if you know your limits and can contain yourself. However, I see it all around me, all the time. People don’t know how to have fun unless it involves intoxicating yourself in some way. They rather go to bars every weekend than try out new activities or just plan a nice night in with your friends.

College pretty much has a drinking culture of its own, and that’s really never going to change. I’ll admit that I, too, indulged in this type of lifestyle. At what point does it get old, though? For me, this idea of drinking all the time or overindulging in this lifestyle started getting old by the time I became a senior in college. Now whenever I see people my age still acting in such ways or having this mentality, it’s just disappointing. 


I wish it was easier for people to have a good time without having to drink or go out and rage. I understand that it’s fun to let loose, go wild and just have a good time with friends. But, you have to remember a few things:

1. Know your limits. At a certain age, you should know how much you should be consuming. You should know not to get so drunk that you become a problem for others or even for your own self. 

2. There are other things to do besides drinking. Like, an infinity amount of things to do. Finding new activities or hobbies with your friends could open so many doors. Or even simple things, such as going to the movies or cooking a new dish at home with friends, or ordering chinese food and watching Netflix all night. 

3. If the reason you’re going out to bars every weekend is to meet your dream sweetie, think again. Is this really the type of environment you want to meet someone special like that? Sure, a lot of people find their boyfriends/girlfriends at bars, but more likely than not you’re not going to find what you’re looking for. 

4. Alcohol is not good for your body. MAYBE the occasional glass of red wine, as studies have proven, or whatever. But to be binge-drinking all the time causes some serious issues. We all know hangovers suck. You feel that way for a reason. You just threw your body into a spinning hell ride of torture. Also, as we get older, our bodies can’t handle as much alcohol as we used to, so sometimes taking it down a notch is actually literally necessary in order for you to survive the next day.

5. If you rely on alcohol to be less shy, forget about your problems, etc. there are underlying issues that need to be resolved. Alcohol is not the solution. In fact, bringing alcohol into the mix of these pre-existing issues will probably only make things worse in the long run. Deal with life in a different way, a healthier way.


So there you have it. End of rant. Some of you may agree with me, some of you may not, but this is just the way I see things and how I feel. Sometimes it seems that our generation is so involved in the drinking culture and I think it can result in so many problems for our futures and our well-being in general. 

7 comments

  1. Very well put! I'm actually the oddball who didn't drink in college (maybe two or three drinks after I turned twenty-one, but on the whole, I waited until after college to drink and honestly my favorite is that glass of red wine you were talking about). I remember having many of these thoughts back in college when I would see my classmates drinking. I have never seen the point in using alcohol to have fun or be less shy. Why have fun if you can't remember it the next day?

    (The irony of all of this is that I did meet my boyfriend in a bar, but I was out that night for different reasons!)

    Thanks for posting about such an important topic! If I wasn't already following you, this post would make me follow you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really appreciate the feedback :) <3

      I definitely think it is an important topic that needs to be addressed more. I've heard of so many stories of alcohol poisoning and even deaths related to alcohol throughout college, it should be taken more seriously.

      Delete
  2. Amen, sister! I agree with you wholeheartedly on the subject! Especially on number 5! While my college is pretty dry, in high school, I hung out with a lot of people who loved to drink. And there came a point during my senior year of high school where it felt like my friends couldn't have fun without alcohol anymore, and I really didn't enjoy myself when I went out with them. I hated being babysitter for them and while it was funny seeing them do stupid things, it wasn't the greatest thing to watch.

    I really like this! Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Thanks for your input as well! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I've felt the oddball out many times. There's also always pressure to drink if everyone around you is doing it and then you're the only one refraining from it. I've had that happen to me so many times, and it never ended well.

      Thanks for commenting! <3 Val

      Delete
  3. Great post! I agree, it really gets out of hand, especially on college campuses. Sometimes I feel like all my peers think it's like a bragging right or something, who can get the most messed up in one night. I'm sure they'll be regretting that when they're 30something. xx, Elizabeth

    www.octoberjune.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Binge drinking seems to just be a part of college (well, the majority of them.) It's never really okay... but I can understand why kids do it. But as you get older (and hopefully wiser) it's time to re-evaluate your life haha.

      Thanks for commenting :) <3 Val

      Delete
  4. I completely agree. It seems to be a huge cultural issue, at least for American college students - its basically expected that they're going to be wasted all the time. The other thing is that I feel like the intention of drinking in college is to 'get f'ed up', and we never learn to drink responsibly. When we go to bars its to get hammered and binge drink, never to just have one or two and have casual conversation.
    Miche from Buttons and Birdcages

    ReplyDelete