Thursday, April 24, 2014

Guest Post: Movies about big changes/graduating

Guest Poster: Sarah from Shades of Sarah

Sarah and I are both members of Her Campus Blogger Network, which is how we met, and found we have a few things in common! For one, we are both recent grads who are trying our best to navigate the real world. Secondly, we both have a special love for movies. She posts a lot about movies on her blog and I asked her to write a guest post for me about some movies she recommends for you guys.


Hi, I'm Sarah and I'm excited to be guest posting for Val today! I blog over at Shades of Sarah about all my favorite things, mainly fashion and pop culture. Like Val, I'm also a recent college graduate trying to sort out the real world (while watching too much Netflix.)


One thing I love about movies is that there's always a character or situation to relate with—that's something we all need now and then, especially when a big change (like graduation!) is around the corner. These three flicks will entertain and remind you that you're definitely not alone:

Ferris Bueller's Day Off


First, let's just take a moment to appreciate the '80s glory in that trailer. If you haven't seen Ferris Bueller, a) reevaluate your life, and b) rest assured the movie isn't as dated as the trailer suggests. Despite Ferris' shenanigans, the high school senior really can be a voice of reason. He says it best: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it."

The Graduate


"What are you going to do now?"

"I was going to go upstairs for a minute."

"I meant with your future, your life."

"Well that's a little hard to say."

BEEN THERE. Also, Mr. Feeny is in this and it has pretty much one of the best scripts ever so you should watch it (and I couldn't find a trailer that didn't give away the whole thing so you really should just watch the movie.)

Orange County


Some high school angst + road trip + Tom Hanks' son + young Jack Black = this endearing comedy. It also serves as a good reminder that while some things are in our control, a good amount aren't and sometimes we just have to be ok with that.


Any movies you'd like to add to the list? And don't forget to stop by Shades of Sarah and say hi — thanks again to Val for having me!

2 comments

  1. Isn't it so fun meeting bloggers you have things in common with? Off the top of my head I can't think of any movies to add to this list, but I bet they'd be fun to watch your last semester of college :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this idea! It's always nice to watch movies you can relate to. Great post! xx, Elizabeth

    www.octoberjune.com

    ReplyDelete