Thursday, March 27, 2014

10 things I would tell my 16 year old self

Inspired by this post over at Love & Waffles, I decided it'd be interesting to look back at who I was when I was 16 and what my life was like. I turned 16 during my Sophomore year of high school, which was one of the hardest years of my life (second hardest was my Freshman year at college.) I often find myself wishing I could go back in time and give myself advice or make different choices. But at the end of the day, living life with no regrets is the best possible thing you can do for yourself. Mistakes we make, experiences we go through, however difficult they may be, they all serve a purpose. As Alanis Morissette says, "You live, you learn."

sixteen1

Dear 16 year old Val:
  1. Take school a little bit more seriously. It may just be "high school" and pretty easy, but establishing good studious habits now will help you tremendously down the road - especially once you get to college.

  2. Get a hobby. Play a sport. Do some type of extracurricular activity that you can be proud of yourself for. It will also give you something to do, something to look forward to, so you don't dwell on all the negative in your life.

  3. Stop trying to impress people. Be confident in who you are. You are awesome, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

  4. Do not be reckless. Do not think you are invincible. Be smart about stupid decisions you see your fellow peers making.

  5. Ignore the bitch that is purposely trying to make your life miserable day in and day out. She's not worth the trouble.

  6. Allow yourself to step out of your comfort zone. Your heart may have been broken, but don't let that keep you from meeting new people and experiencing new things.

  7. Never dwell on the past. It happened. It's over now. Move on.

  8. It's okay to give yourself time to recuperate, but do not let it consume you. The more you let yourself sink into misery, the harder it will be to get yourself out of it.

  9. Cut ties with those who disrespect you and/or are not worth your time and energy. The sooner you let them go, the better (and easier.)

  10. You have all the love in the world to give; your heart is big and you care too much. Do not let people take advantage of that. Be strong.

sixteen7
To be honest, I can still use this list of advice today (and maybe you can, too.)
I have a hard time learning my lessons. I try, though, and sometimes that's all you can do.

No comments

Post a Comment