Friday, April 25, 2014

Top 5 Favorite 90s Shows

Most of us twenty-somethings grew up in the 90s. It was a wonderful decade, really. The economy wasn't as crummy as it is today and the majority of people could actually find jobs right out of college (that were worth their degree.) We were just kids though, unaware of what awaited us and the real struggles we would eventually face. Technology wasn't "all the rage" so lots of time was spent actually playing outside and we weren't glued to iPads and smart phones. Parents weren't as strict about how much t.v. kids watch (well, at least mine weren't.)

So with that being said, I did watch quite a bit of t.v. back in the day. Most of the time it was actually just on in the background as I dawdled around playing weird only child games with myself. There were a lot of great t.v. shows back in the 90s, which I certainly appreciate more now than when I was a kid. I wanted to share with you what my top 5 favorite 90s shows are.


1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer


I didn't watch all the seasons of Buffy until last year when I subscribed to Netflix (it was actually the reason I subscribed) but I did watch the show back when it was on air. Frankly, half the time I didn't fully understand what was going on and I didn't catch on to a lot of its witty humor, but I was still obsessed with Buffy. So obsessed, in fact, that one day I took a large wooden pole I had in my room (don't ask, I don't know why it was in my room) and pretended it was a "stake" and I was going to slay vampires with it. I got way too into it, and I poked a hole in my closet door. 

Anyway, I love this show. It has some of the best character development I've ever witnessed in a t.v. show and Joss Whedon (the writer and sometimes director) rarely disappoints. Who remembers the episode with the "gentlemen" where they steal everybody's voices and the entire episode is done with no one talking?! Amazing. Buffy is a kick-ass show with kick-ass characters and it's a good mix of drama with comedy in it as well. One of the best shows of not just the 90s, but of all time, in my opinion.


2. Dawson's Creek


This show could not possibly have more teenage angst. It is super cheesy at times and they talk kind of weird for a group of teenagers, BUT I still love this show. I'm a sucker for the 90s teenage angst stuff (you will see below with my next show choice) and there's just something about this show that really gets to me. It makes me feel really nostalgic, maybe because it was another one of those shows I always had on in the background. I remember watching it the night the last episode aired and they actually ran a news special to interview people's reactions (because everyone, of course, was dying to know whether Joey would end up picking Dawson or Pacey.) Also, Capeside was the kind of town that I always dreamed of living in.

~Joey and Pacey forever~

3. My So-Called Life


Hellooooooooooo teenage angst! This show is chock full of it! I'm sad it only had one season, because this show really had potential. It tackled a lot of issues teenagers face, and it was one of the first t.v. shows on cable that actually had a gay character (and acknowledged it.) This show was filmed in the early 90s and I love the fashion from back then, so it's fun to see the crazy things people wore. 

Also, Jared Leto as Jordan Catalano, need I say more?


4. Friends


Everybody knows Friends. Everyone's probably watched Friends. I know a lot of people who actually hate this show now because there are so many re-runs of it. That doesn't bother me, though. I love watching Friends, even if I've seen an episode a million times. It always makes me laugh. Each character has their own quirk and I really like that about the show. I always wonder who my favorite character is or who I'm most like, and I can never pick just one. There's something about each character I love and something I can relate to as well. This is one of the only shows that has actually made me crack up laughing (example below: the Pivot episode.) 

P.S. I'm on Ross' side and I think they were on a break.


5. Are You Afraid of the Dark?


Back then, this show scared the crap out of me (and yet I still watched it.) I honestly think the scariest part was the opening credits (that damn clown!!!) I loved the story-telling aspect and that each episode was something different. I tried watching some episodes recently, and they were not scary in the least bit and sort of cheesy. But back when I was a kid? This show was the bomb. It certainly had some memorable characters...

Bye.



What are your favorite 90s shows?

7 comments

  1. Netflix has Buffy?! Alright! I've been wanting to watch that show. Happy dancing for having Netflix ;).

    My top five are:

    1. Boy Meets World
    2. Bill Nye the Science Guy
    3. Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
    4. Zoboomafoo
    5. Legends of the Hidden Temple (about the only reality competition show I have ever ACTUALLY watched and enjoyed).


    It's so hard to choose, though! I really, really loved 90s television. So many great shows! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Boy Meets World is another good one! And Fresh Prince. Can't forget about Bill Nye... and how excited everyone got in the class when we got to watch one of his episodes. I have no idea what Zoboomafoo is but now I'm going to look it up! Thanks for sharing :)

      Delete
    2. O M G I just looked up Zoboomafoo - HOW COULD I FORGET?! I loved that lemur!

      Delete
  2. Friends is one of my favorite shows in the world! A couple of my favorite 90s shows were (are) Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Charmed. I actually watched every episode of Charmed once I got Netflix.
    I think I'm going to have to add Buffy to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I loved watching Sabrina and Charmed, too! I was definitely into supernatural types of shows... (and still am, very much.) If you like Charmed I think you'd definitely like Buffy as well. Thanks for sharing! :)

      Delete
  3. Buffy and Friends! Ugh, my life. Love this post! xx, Elizabeth

    www.octoberjune.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO MUCH YES! I'd have to add Charmed and Digimon though (weird mix? My baby self didn't think so and I trust her judgment :P)
    Hugs, Ingrid
    www.smilingrid.com

    ReplyDelete