Sunday, October 26, 2014

The Ultimate Netflix Halloween Guide!

Can you tell I love Halloween, yet? If you're anything like me you love the Halloween movie marathons going on right now and are eagerly preparing your costume (or anxiously scrambling to figure out what you're going to dress up as). You may find yourself opening up Netflix, in the mood to find that perfect movie to get you in the wonderful Halloween spirit, but instead you spend hours searching and searching yet finding nothing (because that's the glory of Netflix, after all). So, to make things a little bit easier for you during this awesome holiday, I've come up with a list of not just movies you can watch on Netflix, but also t.v. show episodes and documentaries! I call it...



By now you've probably realized that Netflix doesn't always have the best movie selection, so picking out a decent scary movie to watch is borderline impossible. I looked through the majority of their selection and these movies were the ones I deemed worthy enough to watch (or at least try, ha).

The Blair Witch Project
The Human Centipede
Contracted 
Tamara
Insidious 2
Paranormal Activity 4
The Possession 
The Haunting in Connecticut 2

(Not Scary)
Scary Movie 2
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Fun Size
Scream
Clue
The Addams Family
The Craft

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Of course, this show is full of demons, vampires, evil stuff, etc. so really any episode you watch can be deemed "Halloween-worthy" but these two episodes in particular are set during Halloween so you get the whole costumes, trick or treaters and haunted houses package!

S2E6 - Halloween
S4E6 - Fear Itself
(There's a third Halloween episode in Season 6, but I wasn't the biggest fan so I didn't include it on this list) 

Supernatural
Another show that is definitely "Halloween-worthy" with plenty of episodes that showcase urban legends and ghost tales, there are a few that stand out in my mind, especially if you've never seen this show before. These are some of the episodes you can enjoy watching even if you're not familiar with the show's plot but still want to watch something to get you in the Halloween spirit!

S1E5 - Bloody Mary
S1E10 - Asylum
S3E13 - Ghostfacers
S4E7 - It’s the Great Pumpkin, Sam Winchester
S7E14 - Plucky Pennywhistle's Magical Menagerie

That 70s Show
Obviously, this show won't get you scared (unless laughing scares you?) but their Halloween episodes are definitely worth watching during this time of the year. 

S2E5 - Halloween
S3E4 - Too Old to Trick or Treat, Too Young to Die

Goosebumps
Who else remembers this from when they were a kid?! I used to love reading Goosebumps (even though some of the books, especially the pick your own adventure ones, were super super creepy for me). I just recently found out that there was an actual Goosebumps show (always thought it was just movies) and it's all on Netflix! So of course, you can go through the whole show or find the episodes that are based on your favorite Goosebumps book. For me, however, this one particular episode will always stand out for me and remind me of Halloween-time. 

S5 E1&E2 - The Haunted Mask


Maybe you're not in the mood to watch any more scary movies, but you still want to watch something to get in the spooky spirit. Or maybe you're one of those people who prefers the real thing as opposed dot the fake? Netflix has plenty of documentaries and yes, even ones that can get you in the Halloween mood. 

Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy
This documentary is super long (about 4 hours...) but if you're a fan of the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise, I absolutely recommend you watch this. It goes through each movie with commentary from directors, actors, etc. You'll get behind the scenes look at how the movies were made and also how fans reacted, plus so much more.

The Real Story: Amityville Horror
If you've ever seen any of the Amityville movies, then you probably know they were (loosely) based on real events. This documentary takes you through the actual events.

The American Scream
A fairly recent documentary that follows three families as they prepare their annual haunted houses. If you ever wanted to get a behind the scenes look on those haunted house attractions people love flocking to this time of year, then this is the documentary for you.

Nightmares in Red, White and Blue
I haven't seen this one yet, but I can tell you I am SUPER excited to! This documentary takes you through the evolution of the American horror film. It combines history + scary movies, two of my favorite things, so of course I'm going to love it. So if you're also into any of that or think you might find this interesting, add it to your list ;)

8 comments

  1. Thanks for doing this! Searching through Netflix for something you actually want to watch can take forever! I might have to check out that documentary on Amityville Horror. The movies are some of my favorites! Have a Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah you're right! The only one I remember though is from one of the early seasons... which one was the one that scared the crap out of you?! I must watch it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem! I know how difficult it is find stuff on Netflix ;) I definitely think the documentaries are worth a watch, especially if you're bored of the whole scary movie routine by now haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they took Dawson's Creek off of Netflix :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boyfriend decided to be homebodies this Halloween since we've already done other Halloween-y things this month, so this is perfect for having a scary movie marathon at home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a perfect list! Thank you! I know what I'm doing this weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete