Monday, October 27, 2014

Inspiration Monday: When you don't know what to do

Life often presents us with a platter full of options when you least expect it. If you're lucky, you're given something that you are 100% sure about, something that is your absolute dream. So naturally, there's no need to ponder and make a pros and cons list because you already know what your choice will be. The majority of the time, though, life doesn't work that way. We are given options that have both pros and cons and we ultimately have to make a decision, hoping we make the right one. I feel that during your early post-grad years, this is something that happens quite often. They also tend to be scary decisions. Decisions that can affect which direction your life takes off in, decisions that will determine your future. You can either end up extremely satisfied with your decision or completely miserable (and sometimes somewhere in between the two). So what do you do when it's your turn to decide?

If you're anything like me, you'll pretty much ask each of your friends for their opinion/advice. You'll even ask your parents. You'll go around asking just about everyone, because the more insight, the better, right? Maybe. When it comes down to it, you're the only one who can make this decision. You are the only one who truly knows what's best for you. You can ask for all the advice in the world, but chances are deep down, you already know what you're leaning towards. Sometimes it's exactly what people are telling you you should do. Sometimes it's what people are telling you NOT to do. Or in my case, it's somewhere in between. I think one of the reasons we like to ask for advice is so we can hear someone else validate your decision. Sure, there are times when you genuinely don't know what to do so you appreciate an outsider's point of view. Most of the time, though, you already know what you want to do.

But wait. You may know deep down what you want, but on the surface you're freaking out. You don't want to make the wrong decision. For whatever reason, something is stopping you from going in one direction as opposed to the other. That's when the confusing and frustrating part kicks in. Your future is staring you right in the face. Right now my future is staring me right in the face and growling. I'll admit, I'm a little bit terrified.

This time period in life is notorious for making big-time decisions, paving your life path, figuring yourself out, finding out who you truly are, etc. So, naturally, we feel super pressured! We want to make sure we get everything right. We want to succeed. We want to be happy. If only it was easier said than done.

So when you don't know what to do, when you don't know which direction to take, which decision to make, which option on the platter of life to take—don't freak out. Life is all about making mistakes and learning from them. Maybe you'll end up making the wrong decision, but it's a decision you made, no one else. Do you know how lucky you are to even get to do that? Life will inevitably hand you a truck load of decisions and you will have to make some tough ones. Some you'll get right, some you won't. But that's what it's all about. Learning as you go. Figuring out who you are. What you want. And you know what else? You're 100% allowed to change your mind as many times as you want. There is no right or wrong answer here. It's your life and ultimately it's up to you what you do with it.

4 comments

  1. I was going to school for teaching when my now-husband decided to join the Air Force. It was hard giving that up. But I'm so glad I did. Even though I think I would have made a wonderful teacher, the policies and the work they put kids through in public school systems just didn't work in my ethics. Sometimes life has some funny plans for us. And, generally, they aren't what we planned for (which really bugs me, I'm a born planner). I'm just like you though. Searching for what will make me happy and what I want (minus the bachelor's). Thank you for saying that we can change our minds as much as we want :) I'm pretty sure I change mine daily. The fear of failure and waste are my big reasons I don't take chances. Maybe someday we'll have it all figured out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful advice. Thanks for this post. :)

    Always,
    Mostly Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also had plans to become a teacher, but after substitute teaching for awhile and getting a firsthand look at how much public schools have changed, I got completely discouraged and realized I just didn't agree with the system today. It sucks because I think I would have really been a great teacher! It's still something I think about maybe pursuing in the future, though. I'm still changing my mind so much and I'll admit, it's driving me bananas haha. But I think our generation is notorious for that, and it's okay because we need to explore all our options, I think it's healthy. Hopefully someday soon we will both have things figured out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! And thank you for reading :)


    xo, Val

    ReplyDelete