Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The 7 Best Movies to Watch in the Summer

We may only have a few weeks left of summer, but what better way to embrace it (besides going outside and enjoying the sunshine and warmth as much as you can!) than to watch movies that remind you of summer? I find myself watching some of these movies throughout the year and they always just scream "summer" to me, probably because they are set in the summertime (duh) but also because something about this season always reminds me of two things: love and friendship. These movies perfectly capture those themes. And while it may seem counterintuitive to celebrate the last bit of summer by staying indoors and watching movies, we all know some nights we just need to stay in and relax - but you still want to enjoy summertime! Hopefully watching these will also help you halt the excitement you may be feeling for fall to get here already and remind you just what summer is really about.



Possibly THE ultimate summer movie for me. Who can resist this steamy love story?! Set in the Poconos during the summer of '63, Dirty Dancing is a classic. Patrick Swayze is some serious eye candy and I can only ever dream that I would have the dance skills of Jennifer Grey.

Okay, maybe I lied, because this may be the ultimate summer movie for me... or at least comes as a close second. This beautiful story of friendship takes place the summer of 1970 in a small town and truly captures the essence of growing up, especially that awkward stage where you're still technically a kid but also on your way to becoming a teenager. Red rover, red rover...

I may be a little hypocritical here because I have actually never seen this movie (YET!) but you bet it's on my must-watch list before August is over. It's similar to Now and Then in the sense that it also takes place in the summer and is also a story about four 12 year old friends. Another coming of age story that has touched the hearts of so many.

This was one of my favorite movies growing up. I still cry every single time I watch it. It's one of the sweetest movies I've ever seen.

(1 & 2)
I'm combining both the first and second installment of this movie because I always saw it as one movie. The best part about these movies is that it captures friendship, family AND love. It also shows how sometimes your friends become your family, despite how far apart you may be. 

Here's a movie that'll really throw you back into the 90s (even though it came out in 2001). Out of all the American Pie movies, this one's my favorite for several reasons. First off, it takes place in the summer, so you know, duh. Secondly, it's when Jim and Michelle finally get together. And perhaps most importantly, it's a perfect example of what happens to groups of friends after they've gone away to college and come back for the summer. It's hard staying in touch with your high school friends and this movie really touches on that (in a hilarious way, of course).

Not exactly the best acting or the best plot line, but it's a fun summertime love story to watch. Plus, Freddie Prinze Jr. and Jessica Biel just sizzle in this movie.


Since I had such a hard time narrowing down which movies to include in my list, I had a lot left over that I still wanted to share! I even had to narrow down my "honorable mentions" list as well.

Honorable Mentions



What are some of your favorite movies to watch in the summer?

No comments

Post a Comment