Tuesday, September 8, 2015

The Passage of Time

How fast an hour passes by when you're mindlessly doing something you enjoy. How slow an hour passes by when you're anxiously counting down the minutes until you're free from whatever is restraining you. Time is such a funny thing and sometimes I think we have the concept of time all wrong. But it's hard to grasp the idea of time, especially when you look at how time can pass both quickly and slowly, all in one.

More than in the past, I cannot believe summer is basically over. I feel like I blinked and suddenly jumped from June to September. I blinked and suddenly I was a different person, in a different world. Okay, maybe that's being a little overdramatic, but so much has changed that it really does feel like I've entered this entirely new life, with bits and pieces of my old life left behind.

Pretty soon all the leaves will start changing and the air will get crisper. I won't hear crickets in the nighttime and the sun will start to set earlier and earlier. Wasn't Fall just here? Wasn't it just Winter a little while ago? Wasn't I just counting down the days until warmer weather? And now I'm counting down the days until the weather gets cooler? Where has the time gone?


Like I mentioned earlier, it's funny how when you're enjoying yourself, time seems to just wisp on by, and then when things are crappy, time seems to turn into a snail. In one of my previous posts, I mention how having patience during these difficult periods in your life can help so much, especially if you remind yourself that it is only temporary. Because it's true. Everything is temporary. Everything is always changing. We can't stop that, so the sooner we accept it, the sooner we can start to enjoy our lives in the present moment.

And I guess that's kind of where I'm getting at with this. I feel like my summer flew by, but at the same time while I was actually living it, there were many, many moments in which I wanted time to speed up. Now I'm looking back and wondering if maybe I should have tried to enjoy it more. So now, looking at the beginning of a new season (because aren't we always so inclined to measure our lives season by season, year by year?) I ready myself to enjoy the present more. Who knows what changes will come in the next couple of months. Things can't stay the same, whether good or bad. So enjoy the present while you still can. You'll thank me later ;)

Follow me: 

No comments

Post a Comment