Thursday, November 6, 2014

A Day in the Life: Unemployed & Fabulous (not really)

Has anyone ever told you that being unemployed sucks? Well, if they haven't, there ya go. It royally sucks. Every day I wake up and try to muster up some motivation to get things done. It's funny how when we're super busy with work, we want to do ALL THE THINGS. Then, when you have all the free time in the world to do basically everything, you just kind of lay around and think "blah."

Today was different, though. It started off like most days lately. Wake up super early after no sleep because insomnia's kicked in since I'm freaking out about being unemployed, feed the cats, get a cup of joe and sit down at my computer to continue that job search. Eventually after applying to a few jobs, I crash and burn and head back to bed, just to repeat the cycle all over again. Insert some blogging, reading, short naps, "cleaning" and what not in between.

Leyla's not getting fat, she's just growing her winter coat, okay?!

Instead of getting back in bed, though, I decided it was time to stop moping around and actually DO SOMETHING. So I got up and was about to get dressed to head out into the real world, when I suddenly thought "Actually, never mind. I don't feel like getting dressed." So, I sat back down. BUT THEN I got this brilliant idea that maybe if I dressed in business attire and made myself look all professional and what not, I would somehow feel better about everything. So that's what I did. And you know what? It worked.

This is my "someone please hire me" face.

Not only did I realize I much rather wear pencil skirts than dress pants, but I actually almost felt like a real adult. Woo! So if you're currently unemployed and sick of it, I recommend you dress to impress and just go about your day running errands or whatever. It will make you feel less like a useless bum, I promise.

Instead of staying cooped up all day in the house, I not only went thrifting but I also stopped by Petco. Wow. What a productive day. (Yes, sarcasm. But I'm also kind of excited I actually did something today.) 

Fancy Feast for the Fancy Beasts.

Just some light holiday decor, let's not go apeshit with the christmas stuff just yet.

 My favorite part of the day was finding this cute dress for just $10. I now have a NYE outfit planned out. NYE plans no, but the outfit is ready to go.

I have never been a doll person (besides the American Girl doll I got when I was little) but this doll intrigued me so I bought her. Let's hope she doesn't go all Annabelle on me.

So there you go. I got home. Fed the cats. Took out the trash. Emailed people in relation to my job hunting (fingers crossed please). Danced around to some Taylor Swift in my "fancy business attire." And then I passed out around 8 p.m. because I was running on three hours of sleep. Now it's 2 a.m. and I can't fall back asleep. But, alas, that is the life of the unemployed.

Here's to hoping I will not be living this lifestyle for much longer. Although it does have it's perks.

5 comments

  1. That sounds like a really good plan (as I sit here also job hunting in my pajamas) the weather here is really crappy so it's going to take extra motivation to get me outside, but I know I should go do some light errands! Good luck on the job hunt! Being unemployed does suck! I don't really count my part time barista job as being gainfully employed, as it barely covers grocery expenses

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being unemployed is horrible! I was there for way too long.. Even now, I'm working, but not many hours. Some days I still feel unemployed. :/ Keep dancing to Taylor Swift in your business attire, though. That should always make you feel better. It's science, or something. :p

    (PS, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and your job search. Job hunting is the WORST.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's good that you try and get out everyday. I know staying home can make things worse. Can you take a laptop or tablet to Starbucks or another coffee shop to job search? Good luck though, I hope you find something soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was employed right after I graduated but then lost my job due to budget cuts and it sucked! I would joke around and tell people I was a "full-time blogger" (that made no money). But, I would get up and do things to keep myself motivated like instead of applying for jobs on my couch I went to barnes and noble or a coffee shop - I felt fancy. Keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing everything right. Take it from someone who was unemployed, and now is employed in their field but is working so many hours to make just enough money to cover student loans. You are doing a good job.

    I nominated you for a blog award also! http://www.always-al.com/2014/11/one-lovely-blog.html

    ReplyDelete