Monday, February 23, 2015

Book Review: Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple (2012)


It's not often that I find a book I can read within just a couple of days, so when I do, I absolutely must share it with the world! By now you might have already heard about Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple. It came out almost three years ago and I've been wanting to read it for almost as long, but always had a hard time finding a copy at the library. I had always heard great things about this book, but was also a little skeptical as I usually am when book's are given such raving reviews.

Basically, the reviews were right. I wouldn't give the book a 10 out of 10, but it's definitely one of those novels you can't seem to put down (and that's usually a very good thing). The story telling aspect is very unique and well-done. Maria Semple is able to tell a funny and captivating story that has a much darker root to it, in a way that gives you more than one side of the story. You're left wondering "Who's crazy? Who's not? Is anyone sane?!" But, alas, that is up to you to decide.

The only downside of Where'd You Go, Bernadette is that I wish it had gone a little more in depth with the character's stories and inner demons, so to speak. The book is meant to be funny, though, so we don't really get too into the backgrounds and feelings of each character and what has led them to be who they are at the present day. We get just enough information that it is up to the reader to form their opinions and thoughts on each character's background.

If you're looking for a book that you won't be able to stop reading until you've gotten to the end and find out what actually ends up happening, Where'd You Go, Bernadette is certainly the next book you should read! I also loved that the story gives us plenty of twists and surprises. More than one character ends up changing. 


Two of my favorite quotes from Where'd You Go, Bernadette:


"People like you must create. If you don't create, Bernadette, you will become a menace to society."

"My heart started racing, not the bad kind of heart racing, like, I'm going to die. But the good kind of heart racing, like, Hello, can I help you with something? If not, please step aside because I'm about to kick the shit out of life."


Have you read Where'd You Go, Bernadette? What did you think of it?

P.S. Check out all my other book reviews!

6 comments

  1. I was pretty let down with this book. The reviews were great and the premise sounded fun and a lot more enjoyable than the book actually was in my opinion. It also kept being promoted as SO FUNNY which I didn't find it. I found it more sad than funny :'( I really liked how it was written in notes/emails and things though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard great things about Me Before You as well! It's actually on my Kindle right now and I'll hopefully get around to reading it soon. I did hear it was sad though... guess I better get my tissues ready! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree it wasn't as funny as everyone made it out to be. A lot of parts I did find sad as well! Which is partially why I was a little disappointed that the author didn't go more in depth with some of those sad parts. I think that was the point, though, to try and kind of keep it light hearted despite the dark undertones. I enjoyed how it was written in notes/emails, too! Definitely part of what kept me wanting to read more

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree completely with your review! It wasn't a 10 out of 10, but there was just something about it (something I can't quite put my finger on) that made it stick out and kept me reading. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You picked one of my favorite quotes!! I adored this book and it was actually one of the first books I ever reviewed on my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen reviews for this book on at least six other blogs this week alone and now I'm fairly positive I need to read it. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete