Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Beauty of Online Communities

Sometimes we find help in the strangest places. A lot of people wonder why blogging has become such a “fad” and I believe one of the reasons behind this is due to the community and support that comes with being a committed blogger. It’s no secret that one of the best things you can do as a blogger is become parts of social network groups that cater specifically to bloggers. Most of these groups can be found on Facebook (some open, some private) but there are also plenty of Twitter “chats” that occur in which anyone can join. It’s a great way to build connections and find people to talk to and network with.


When I first started blogging, I joined several of these types of online communities. My sole purpose for doing so was to expand my blog, build my following and just generally get blogging tips from other bloggers. Little did I know what I was truly getting myself into. I established online friendships and also became an online presence for others to rely on, which as the caring and helpful kind of person I am, was genuinely a great moment for me. 

The best part about all of this is that the online communities I now rely on the most, and have become my favorites, aren’t even specially related to blogging. I have found comfort in #fireworkpeople and great motivational advice in The Entrepreneur Incubator. Even through blogging itself, I was able to make connections that led me to the Indie Chicks Writer Network and helped me become a part of Blogger PJ Parties (that I have co-hosted a few times and always had a blast with). Not to mention the role I now play in Northeast Bloggers Network as one of the NJ state reps and the start of my own blogger’s Facebook group, All Bloggers United.

I’ve heard it plenty of times, that the internet (more specifically, technology) will become society’s downfall. Maybe that’s true in some sense. For example, I don’t believe children should be getting iPhones. I don’t believe that we should be doing all our communicating via social media. I also don’t think it’s necessarily healthy to hide behind a computer screen all the time. It’s important to get out there and LIVE. Have adventures, disconnect from technology every so often. Back. away. from. the. email. I do, however, believe that the internet is able to provide us with the beauty of online communities. There are so many out there and most of the time you will be able to find the kind of support that you can’t really get anywhere else. Family and friends can certainly give you support, but there’s something different and special about the advice and reassurance you get from strangers on the internet. And if you’re lucky, some of these “strangers” may become some of the best friends you’ll ever have. 


What are your favorite online communities?
Have there been any instances where an online community has really helped you out?

3 comments

  1. I wouldn't have most of the best friends that I have now if I didn't have the internet...between meeting people online and being able to Skype with old friends, it really has saved my friendships. I think that's progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving being a part of ABU, I think you created such a great community there. Love my NE Bloggers too! The last one is kind of dorky but I'm a planner geek and I love the planner FB groups!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout out on the Blogger PJ Parties. I'm currently working on figuring out how to celebrate a year of existence!!

    ReplyDelete