Monday, March 23, 2015

Inspiration Monday: Productivity

Let's face it, my productivity levels have bottomed out. If there was an actual chart showing my productivity levels within the past year, these past few weeks probably would be in the "below zero" category. It's not to say that I've been lazy, because I think for the first time in well, forever, I've been very NOT lazy. Waking up early, working a 9 to 5 job and kind of sort of still running this blog qualifies as not lazy in my book. The problem is I know that I can certainly be doing more. I know that I have been slacking. I know that I haven't been able to accomplish anything that I've wanted to by this time, even the short-term goals I had set for myself. I haven't been productive, especially when it comes to this blog, and that is not okay with me!

So as I racked my brain for what to focus on for my Inspiration Monday this week, I decided that productivity would be a great way to not only inspire others to be more productive in their lives but also kind of give myself a kick in the right direction. Everyone has their own ways of getting to a more productive level in their life (or you're still trying to figure that out, like me). I already have a blog post in my drafts on ways to be more productive in the morning. I'm a firm believer that how you start off your day can very much effect how the rest of your day goes. But I'm also a firm believer in the fact that life throws you curveballs 24/7, so you need to stay sharp and focused pretty much the entire day. Of course, waking up on the right side of the bed in the morning can help with that.

There's also a fine line between "being productive" and being so busy that your brain hurts. It's super important to find a balance here. What I though was a "productive" phase for me a few weeks ago, actually ended up being one of those "crash and burn" kind of moments in my life. There's only SO much you can do and nothing good will come from doing too much all at once. My goal isn't just to be more productive, but to find that balance so I don't run myself dry and end up back to zero productivity because I've juiced out my brain. As with most things in life, balance is key.


I'd love to hear from you! What is your best productivity tip? What do you struggle with most when it comes to being more productive?

6 comments

  1. I find I am most productive when I put on relaxation music while I'm working. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Val!! Just found your blog through Twitter.
    I totally feel you on this. It's difficult to balance your everyday duties with things you want to be pursuing, taking care of yourself and being healthy, etc. I've become a major list maker as of late..
    Sunday afternoons are great for writing a list of things you want to accomplish for the week ahead, and then just choosing ONE thing for each day. It's less overwhelming when you have it all out of your brain and on paper. And forgiving yourself and knowing it's never too late to get going helps a lot too. :)
    http://abbyflynn.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My productivity has been out the window all winter... I think it was just too cold to do anything! It's starting to come back now that the sun is shining more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My best tip would definitely be to learn to let things go. I find that I'm the most un-productive when I start holding on to negative feelings/notions/ideas, etc. It's taken me a while to get to this point, but one way I've gotten myself out of this mindset is to just start thinking more positively. Think in terms of what you can do to rectify a situation, decide the steps you'll take and make note of them. Once you start looking at ways to fix something rather than just stressing out, you can channel all those bad vibes and redirect them into productivity.


    Great message for the day!
    xxcheers, Meag

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm most productive when I set small goals for myself during the week. I've recently purchased an Erin Condren planner (which I am in love with), which has a built in weekly goals list as well as a monthly goals list. This has kept me organized, prevented me from feeling overwhelmed, and allows me to customize things to my liking.

    What I struggle with when it comes to being more productive is having the motivation to get started. Since writing my weekly/monthly goals down, I feel that I'm holding myself accountable for achieving those goals. Writing things down also motivates me so I can check off the box when I have completed those tasks.

    Great post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This quote is spot on. Too often, we fool ourselves into thinking that sheer busyness equates with productivity, and it doesn't always! I've found goal-setting to lead to my best productivity, since I can have real proof of what productivity looks like to me in a moment of pure ambition. Don't beat yourself up about it though, Val! We ALL have those days where being productive just isn't possible because life. You'll get there. <3


    cominguprosestheblog.com

    ReplyDelete