Tuesday, July 22, 2014

My favorite "summertime" movies as a kid

When I was a kid, I watched these movies even when it wasn't the summer and I instantly felt nostalgic for the summertime. A lot of these movies are coming of age stories (my favorite kind!) and I still enjoy watching them today. I wanted to share these and see if anyone else found themselves watching these movies as a kid (or even today!) I'm sure I have many more, but unfortunately as we grow older we tend to start forgetting things from our childhood... but maybe some of you can help me remember some other great summertime movies from when we were younger :)

Now & Then

Now and Then just might be my favorite. I think I even still have it on VHS (GASP.) This movie is a combination of all things I love: friendship, the 60s/70s, summertime, adventures, bike rides, great music, etc. I always wished I had a group of friends like this when I was younger or that I had gotten the chance to live in a town where it was safe to bike ride such a long distance and have awesome adventures with friends. The movie itself is a wonderful coming of age story that highlights the importance of friendship and growing up. 

The Goonies

"Hey, you guys!!!" Oh, Chunk. I'll admit, when I first saw this movie I was 100% creeped out by it. Mostly because of the disfigured dude who ended up being totally nice. I was still scared of him, though. I saw the movie a few more times and it started to grow on me. It's another one of those movies that represent friendship, growing up, standing up for what you believe in, etc. And most importantly... adventure! Kids + adventures = great, fun, dangerous times. Also, the 80s-ness is just oozing out of this movie - Cyndi Lauper's song for this movie, anyone?!

My Girl

Is it possible to watch this movie without crying? I don't think so. This might have been one of the first movies to make me cry so much, but I still loved it with all my heart. I loved the characters, I loved the story, I loved the era it was set in (can you tell I'm a fan of the 60s and 70s?) It's another coming of age story, but a really sad one. Despite the sadness, it will still always be one of my favorite "summertime" movies. 

Dirty Dancing

Okay, so maaaybe this wasn't the most appropriate movie for a kid to be watching, but whatever, I was a mature kid. And this was my favorite movie for a long, long time. I think it even beat out Titanic for awhile (GASP #2.) I was utterly in love with Johnny Castle and wanted to be Mrs. Castle. That's kind of embarrassing to admit... but oh well. This movie was also set in the 60s (I just realized I may potentially have a problem) and had that awesome summer feel to it, sweatiness and all ;). It's fun and romantic. A classic. And remember, nobody puts baby in the corner.


What are some of your favorite movies as a kid or teen that remind you of summertime?

No comments

Post a Comment