Monday, September 8, 2014

Inspiration Monday: Be Strong

I can't even recollect how many times I have heard the words "be strong" or some variation of that. Not just said to me, but to people around me or people saying it to someone else. "You have to be strong." "You can get through this, just be strong." "Be strong, you got this." Of course, they are wise words and in this hectic, chaotic mess of a life sometimes the only thing you can do is be strong. The thing is - so much easier said than done. Being "strong" is not easy, nor is it something that can easily be defined. Everyone has their own definition or perception of what "being strong" is all about.


I was scrolling through Pinterest the other day, where I like finding inspirational quotes (along with about a million other "pin-worthy" stuff), and I found this list of "18 things mentally strong people do."  I didn't really agree with all of them, but these are some that stood out to me:
  • They move on. They don't waste time feeling sorry for themselves.
  • They embrace change. 
  • They are kind, fair, and unafraid to speak up.
  • They invest their energy on the present. They don't dwell on the past.
  • They are willing to fail. They don't give up after failing. 
  • They accept their feelings without being controlled by them.


I can go on and on about what makes a person strong, but what I may consider strong, you may not. Some people view being strong as being void of emotions and feelings, of not letting yourself get caught up in any of that messy stuff. Others simply view being strong as getting up day after day, despite how hard your life may be. You know what? What's most important is that you view yourself as strong. Figure out what your definition of "strong" is and then strive to be that, every chance you get. It's not easy, but if it were, I don't think we would see it as such a virtue. 

Don't base your "strength" off others. Everyone is facing their own battles, everyone faces life differently. You alone are the one who determines how strong you can be, how strong you are willing to become. You have the power to "be strong." Don't ever let anyone define what your own strength is. 


Have an awesome week.
xo, Val

4 comments

  1. Thank you for posting this! Being strong can seem like such a cliche but it's so important when we go through rough waters. We all have our own special kind of "strong" and I think that's pretty spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, Valerie! The idea of strength definitely has different meanings for everyone, but I worry sometimes that it's lost a lot of it's meaning because of how easily people use it - like you said, it's something you hear all the time. But I really like that like you said, everyone has their own meaning for the word. I think that says a lot about human nature, and how different we all are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. I agree with the definition of "strong" - what does that mean? However, I love the way you put it. Sometimes strength is just making it through. :) Lovely post.

    xo,
    Zoe | La Vie en Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is such great advice for so many different situations! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete