Monday, May 5, 2014

Don't Look Back in Anger

*Post title inspired by the Oasis song*

Why is it so easy for us to hold onto grudges and not let go of the hurt we've experienced in the past? I'm not just talking about "relationship" hurts, just life experiences in general that leave you angry for years. You'll just randomly find yourself thinking about it one day and even if months or years have passed, you feel that anger rising again. You get bitter. You still can't figure out why. You wish you could change things, or even worse, get revenge.


That is no way to live. We have to learn to let things go. Whatever they may be. However horrible it was. You have to let it go. The only person you're doing damage to is yourself. Obviously, this is much easier said than done. But regardless, you need to at least make an effort. Practice makes perfect, right?

Learn to let things go. Learn to not take everything so personally. Learn to let things slip right off you. Life is what it is. Each experience is a lesson, sometimes even a blessing in disguise. You just may not know that for awhile.


While I'm writing this rather personal post to try and help "spread the word" so to speak, I also just need to keep reminding myself sometimes to stop fighting what I can't change. I need to keep learning to let it go. I'm sure many of you can relate to this, especially parent/family-wise. It's taken me years to get to the point where I am actually finding myself letting my past be just that—my past. But every once in awhile it catches back up with you. And when that happens, reflect on it for a little while, and then go right back to letting it go.

There is nothing like living life in the present.

(P.S. sorry this post is all over the place, just one of those necessary rants!)

No comments

Post a Comment