Saturday, May 10, 2014

You only need one person to support your decisions: Yourself.

Sometimes people aren't going to support the decisions you make. They will disagree with you, they will criticize you. Especially if it's something outlandish. Sometimes these people are your own friends or family. Believe me, I know how much that can hurt. We look to these people for support and the last thing we need is them disagreeing, wholeheartedly, with the choices you are making. Especially if it's something so important and life-altering for you.

But you know what? If you find yourself in a situation such as this, such as the one I am in right now—to put it nicely, f*** them. As great as it'd be to have people backing you up, happy for your own happiness, no matter how you may find it, in the real world that doesn't always happen. As you grow older you will notice many people disagree with you. When I was younger I tried my best to please others, please the crowd, go with the status-quo, simply because it was easier. Not because it made me any happier. Now that I'm growing up and becoming more comfortable with who I am and who I want to be, it's getting easier to not let it get to me when someone doesn't agree with my life choices. Because at the end of the day—it's my life. It's your life. Do what makes you happy. No matter what that may be.


That's the message I want to send out today. While they are lyrics from a song (Pumpin Blood by NONONO) those words hold so much truth. You can create your own happiness and you have the ability to control your own happiness, too.

Since graduating college, I am beginning to find myself more and more each day. I look back to where I was a year ago and I can't even believe how far I've come, in so many aspects of my life. You always hear about people "finding themselves" in college, but sometimes that all begins to truly happen once you're done with school, once you've finally started the rest of your life.

So do yourself a favor and be your own support system. Of course there will be friends and family who are there to support you, but sometimes in life you will find yourself standing alone. That is when you need to learn that you are enough. Be brave, and fight for your own happiness.

No comments

Post a Comment